Thursday, December 11, 2008

GOOP does LA








Confession: I am cynically obsessed with GOOP, Gwyneth Paltrow's tragically acronymed, semi-frequently updated newsletter. The tag-line says it all: GOOP: Nourish The Inner Aspect. I won't even start theorizing what that means. In her newsletter, Gwyneth holds forth on everything from the importance of family during the holidays to the proper (read: Gwyneth's) method of preparing turkey. Her goal is to enlighten us on everything we should 'make', 'go,' 'get' 'do', 'be' and 'see', which pretty much covers all the bases for re-forming America in her image. You go, girl. Gwyn composes her missives with all the self-righteous authority only a Hollywood celebrity can provide. While I don't doubt Paltrow cooks a damn fine turkey, I'm really only interested in laughing at the unironic sentimentalim she spews into my inbox on a bi-weekly basis.

THIS week's installment was especially fun because Paltrow decided to enlighten us plebs on one of my favorite subjects: LA.

Gwyn says:

Los Angeles, where I was born and partially raised, will always hold a special place in my heart. Not the L.A. of Hollywood, but the old-school seventies beach vibe that which still lingers in corners. As strange, spread out and flatly lit as it can sometimes be, Los Angeles, with its bougainvillea, sea breezes, avocados and eccentric inhabitants, is like no other place and will always be in my soul.



Poor LA. I guess it is a bit "flatly lit", though I admit that particular critique had never occurred to me. Oh Gwyneth, what would we do without your insight?

(I particularly like her obstinate refusal to choose between 'that' and 'which'. With all her money she couldn't get someone to copy-edit this for her?)

No comments: